By Emmanuel Ukaegbu, (NIGERIA MOMENT).
The six precepts of the Catholic Church are as follows:
1. To respectfully and devoutly assist at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on all Sundays and Holidays of Obligation.
2. To fast and abstain on the days appointed.
3. To go to Confession at least once a year during the Easter Season.
4. To receive the Sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist at least once a year during the Easter Season.
5. To contribute financially (i.e. give money) in support of the Catholic Church.
6. To never violate the laws concerning the Sacrament of Matrimony.
1) It is a Mortal Sin not to respectfully and devoutly assist at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on all Sundays and Holidays of Obligation, unless we are excused for a serious reason.
* They also commit a mortal sin who, having others under their charge, hinder them from respectfully and devoutly assisting at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on all Sundays and Holidays of Obligation, without a sufficiently justifiable reason.
2) By fast-days is meant days on which adults are allowed but one full meal, except for those who are physically unable to do so and those who are 65 years old and older.
* By days of abstinence is meant days on which Catholics are forbidden to eat flesh-meat, but are allowed the usual number of meals.
3) By the command of confessing at least once a year is meant that we are obliged, under pain of mortal sin, to go to confession at least once a year during the Easter/Paschal Season which ends on Trinity Sunday.
* We should confess frequently, if we wish to lead a good life.
4) One who neglects to receive the Sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist during the Easter time commits a Mortal Sin.
5) Saint Paul the Apostle reminds all Catholics that they are required to contribute financially – to the support of the Catholic Church:
* Know you not, that they [i.e. Catholic Priests] who work in the Holy Place [i.e. in the Catholic Church] , eat the things that are of the Holy Place [i.e. of the Catholic Church]; and they [i.e. Catholic Priests] that serve the Altar, partake with the Altar?
So also the Lord ordained that they [i.e. Catholic Priests] who Preach the Gospel, should live by the [ financial support of the] Gospel ” (1 Corinthians 9:13-14 ).
Therefore, all Catholics are obliged to contribute to the support of the Catholic Church in order to bear their fair share of the expenses incurred.
6) For your convenience, these include, but are not limited to:
a) Never marry a person who is of the same sex.
b) Never marry a person who is related to within the third degree of kindred.
c) Never marry a person privately without witnesses.
d) Never solemnize marriage at forbidden times. e.g. the Lenten season.
By Emmanuel Ukaegbu